It is one of the 4 Transdanubian Bratislava districts having special historic and geographical conditions. Since 1990 it has been an ancient monument area. It has an interesting geographical location, as a trade-route leading from present-day Hungary to Austria has been on this area since Roman times. Some part of the railway crossing, which is going to connect Slovakia with the surrounding countries in the near future, was built in the 1990s.
On 1 December, 2002, the Bratislava Regional Office declared it a nature conservation area under the name Danubian islands (Dunajské ostrovy). This solemn declaration was made on 3 December, 2002. This area is divided into 2 parts, actually 2 islands called Upper and Lower Islands, both located between the main Danube stream and the derivational canal. The tideland forest environmentalist communities, who protect the endangered plants and animals, played an important role in its establishment. While walking there, visitors can meet rare species of beavers, birds and amphibians.
To further the protection of the environmental and cultural sights, the capital of the Slovak Republic declared the ‘Rusovce’ district of Bratislava a Cultural Zone on 1 October, 1990.
The ruins of the castle, which can be found here, date back to Roman times. This is considered to be unique of its kind in Slovakia. Folk architectural motifs can also be discovered in the castle, which is surrounded by a historic park reaching as far as the tideland forests bordering on the Danube.
This town district had already been inhabited in Roman times, as some ruins of the Roman farmland were discovered in 1949 all belonging to the so called ‘villa rustica’ style. The first written recording about Cunovo dates back to 1232. In 1235 the whole area was occupied by the Tartars.
This region bordered on lower and upper Hungary in the 14th century. Its original name was Chunn, in German it is Sarndorf while in Hungarian it is called Csún. The Turks developed another ramifying territory and the Croats moved here.
With the introduction of several kinds of tax benefit, the government attracted the local Dalmatians to settle down in new areas after the Turks had marched out in the 16th century.
The settlement together with another one called Jarovce was annexed to Czechoslovakia under the terms of the ‘Paris Peace Treaty’. After World War I Cunovo belonged to Hungary, then since 1972 it has belonged to Bratislava.
Cunovo has proved that it is also possible to do sports in a tiny district of a town. Due to the establishment of waterworks, numerous new facilities are at hand for angling, bike tourism, rafting and water sports. According to the latest population census Cunovo has 1009 inhabitants.
Rajka is situated on the northernmost point of Transdanubia, at the meeting point of three countries: Hungary, Austria and Slovakia. The River Danube reaches Hungary at Rajka. The Mosoni-Danube branch makes its way here, thus forming one of the great regions of the area called Szigetköz. Looking at Rajka from a different direction, Rajka is neighbouring the Lajta Plain called ‘mudland’ in its original name, also called Heideboden by the German speaking original settlers. Among its sights you can find a gothic style Roman Catholic Church from the 14th century, the Evangelical Vicarage from the 17th century and the Zichy Mansion, the Evangelical Church built in 1783-84, the Calvary Statue and the open-air Sculpture Park erected on the Hungarian-Austrian-Slovak tripoint area in 1992.
After the Hungarian conquest of Hungary, the Pechenegs were settled here to protect the borderland. The village which later became Hungarian was destroyed by the Turks and soon the Croats found shelter here after having been chased out of Dalmatia. The bulk of the inhabitants living in the village declared themselves as Croats even in 1930. At present, about two thirds of the residents of the village declare themselves as Croats by birth. The settlement has an active club and cultural life.
Arriving from the direction of Mosonmagyaróvár, it is worth stopping at the graveyard for a while. Here the epitaphs on the tombstones reflect a small ethnic group’s search for identity, insistence on its native language and its regrettable assimilation after its secession from the motherland.
From the Rajka direction of Fő Street you can find Ady Street, where the city council bought the oldest dwelling house called ‘Wurcz House’ (at 11 Ady Street), and had it furnished with a small collection in testimony of their persistence in Croatian culture.
The church which was built at the beginning of the 18th century and extended in the 19th century can be found on the western border of the settlement. On its façade, the plaque recording the names of the people who lost their lives in World Wars I-II also reflects the ethnic composition of the inhabitants of the settlement. The altar-piece of the church portrays the birth of Mary. On the two borders of the village so called ‘plague-columns’ can be seen.
EuroVelo cycle routes are intended for cycle touring across Europe by connecting the existing bike paths. Of course, it will be possible to use these EuroVelo cycle routes in local cycling, too. Hungary is crossed by two EuroVelo cycle routes: EV6, which is running from the Atlantic Ocean to the Black Sea, and EV11.
EuroVelo (European Cycle Route Network) is the project of the European Cyclists’ Federation to develop a cycle route network of 12 long-distance routes crossing the whole of Europe. The total length of these routes will exceed 60.000 km, of which more than 20.000 km have already been finished.
With cost of 2.161.545,78 euros the Hungarian parts of the EuroVelo 6 Cycle Route has been built under the project called ‘HUSK/0901/2.3.1/0242 Establishment of the cycle route of EuroVelo 6 Bezenye, Rajka, Čunovo, Rusovce’. Both Sándor Széles Ph.D Governmental Commissioner and Árpád Érsek MP made a speech at the project opening ceremony on 12 December.Read more...
In Hungary the EuroVelo6 cycle route runs along the River Danube. By means of the nearly 600 million forint project -supported by the European Union- the missing sections of the cycle route are being constructed. This is achieved by connecting the cycle routes of Bezenye and Rajka in the Szigetköz Region and those of Dunacsún and Oroszvár in Slovakia. This project takes place within the scope of the Hungary-Slovakia Cross-border Cooperation Program.Read more...
In Hungary the EuroVelo6 cycle route runs along the River Danube. By means of the nearly 600 million forint project -supported by the European Union- the missing sections of the cycle route are being constructed. This is achieved by connecting the cycle routes of Bezenye and Rajka in the Szigetköz Region and those of Dunacsún and Oroszvár in Slovakia. This project takes place within the scope of the Hungary-Slovakia Cross-border Cooperation Program.
The construction work first started on the Hungarian part (touching the settlements Bezenye and Rajka) in March, 2012. The cycle route section which was first finished belongs to Rajka. It was opened on 7 September, 2012. Here a newly created rest area is also awaiting the cyclists. The technical acceptance procedure of the new section in Bezenye took place on 10 October, 2012. Thus the 8.7 km long section on the Hungarian side has been completely built. The 7.6 km long section belonging to the settlements Dunacsún (Cunovo) and Oroszvár (Rusovce) on the Slovak side will have been finished by 31 December, 2012 at the latest.
Hopefully, cyclists will be able to use the complete section from 2013.
Until 31 December, 2012 one of the Hungarian missing parts of the EuroVelo 6 Cycle Route will be built under the project called ‘HUSK/0901/2.3.1/0242 Establishment of the cycle route of EuroVelo 6 Bezenye, Rajka, Čunovo, Rusovce’. Its budgetary cost is 2.161.545,78 euros. Both Sándor Széles Ph.D Governmental Commissioner and István Nagy Ph.D MP made a speech at the project opening ceremony on 4 April.Read more...
Until 31 December, 2012 one of the Hungarian missing parts of the EuroVelo 6 Cycle Route will be built under the project called ‘HUSK/0901/2.3.1/0242 Establishment of the cycle route of EuroVelo 6 Bezenye, Rajka, Čunovo, Rusovce’. Its budgetary cost is 2.161.545,78 euros. Both Sándor Széles Ph.D Governmental Commissioner and István Nagy Ph.D MP made a speech at the project opening ceremony on 4 April.
EuroVelo (its full name is European Cycle Route Network) is the project of the European Cyclists’ Federation to create 12 long-distance cycle routes crossing the whole of Europe. The total length of these cycle routes is more than 60 000 km. EuroVelo 6 Cycle Route starts at Nantes in France by the Atlantic and leads to Constanta by the Black Sea.
On its way it crosses France to the east, goes on to Lake Boden in Switzerland then following the Danube it passes through Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria before it arrives in Romania. It reaches the Black Sea at the mouth of the Danube in Constanta.
The 16,3 km long cycle route, which is being built at present, will ensure the missing connection between Mosonmagyaróvár -Paprét and Bős-Pozsony in accordance with the specifications of quality required by EuroVelo networks. This section will be part of the Vienna-Budapest cycle route. In the course of the project 2 bike rest areas will be built with a cycle rack, a map and some rest furniture. The Hungarian section is 8,7 km long and amounts to 77% of the total budgetary cost.
The total budgetary cost of the construction is 2.161.545,78 euros, 85% of which is ensured by EU sources within the scope of the project ‘HUSK/0901/2.3.1/0242 Establishment of the cycle route of Euro Velo 6 Bezenye, Rajka, Čunovo, Rusovce’. The implementation will last from 25 October, 2011 until 31 December, 2012.
Mayor of Bezenye, Róbert Kammerhofer greeted the guests at the festive opening ceremony. The project was also greeted by Sándor Széles Ph.D Governmental Commissioner of the Győr-Moson-Sopron County Governmental Office in his speech he made on the spot. MP and Mayor of Mosonmagyaróvár, István Nagy Ph.D expressed his happiness in connection with the construction of the of the cycle route, as it would supplement a section between Mosonmagyaróvár and the Slovak side, which has been missing for a long time. Up to the expectations, the cycle route which is being built in the immediate vicinity of the Szigetköz will further improve the tourist attraction of the area.
At 10.30 on 4 April, 2012 the laying of the foundation stone of the project took place near the Bezenye-Paprét link road where the new cycle route would join the already existing section.
Mayor - Kammerhofer Róbert
Mayor - Kiss Vince
Mayor – Dušan Antoš
Mayor - Gabriela Ferenčáková